Thursday, March 3, 2011

Zippidy Doo Da ....

I am learning to love the humble zip.  I have always taken them for granted.  You know what I mean.  So long as they work properly we really don't notice them very much.  It's when they fail to help us maintain our meagre modesty that we are made aware of them.  "Your fly's undone", "oh THANKS! this bloody thing always falls down!"

In the last few weeks I have been scouring the haberdashery baskets in countless op shops.  This is some of the bounty of my search.  Zips, patterns, bias binding, heaps of stuff that I can practice with without ruining a brand new zipper.  And this stuff is always around in op shops.  Always my first stop!




So yesterday I thought I would explore the mystery of the zip.  Yup.  I spent 2 hours working out how to put one into a small pencil case bag I was making.  With some help from Youtube tutorials I managed to get one in.   The little bag has a cute silky inside and the outside is a linen napkin in a very nice mustard colour.  All the materials are recycled ... even the incredible matching zip!




This is one of the best zipper tutorials known to exist in the world.  Really easy method to put in an invisible zip without the jargon. Perfect for the novice newbie like me.  I put on my zipper foot and went slowly and once I got my head around it, it was done.   I now have a cute case for stuff.  I made some little crochet brooches last night while watching telly.  One of these on the front would be nice, I think.



Bye for now from Zippidy Doo Da Land!

xx Miss G







No comments:

Post a Comment