- I will work on my creativity and associated skills.
- I will go to bed earlier than normal (12.30am is normal)
- I will peel the spud, chuck it in boiling water and get it moving
- I will be organised around the house (clean, tidy, neat, decluttered)
- I will be sensible with what little money comes my way
- I will try and sell some of the things I love to make
- I will only read hardcover books written before 1970
- I will sort out the front garden
- I will cook a new thing every week
- I will whistle while I work
This post is about number 3. I joined the gym this week. Yes, I joined the gym. I can see the people who know me well scratching their heads with a thoroughly puzzled look on their face. My idea of exercise is a gentle stretching class, maybe a walk up to school or the shops, or a little bike ride with the kids. The idea of sweating is anathema to me. Totally against the grain - I get all red and flustered and my hair goes frizzy - it ain't pretty. But I joined anyway.
Tuesday night was spent balancing my body in Body Balance (a bit of a mix of yoga, pilates and tai chi). Fun, relaxing, downward doggish. I'll go back - not too sweaty or frizzy after that one and I feel good for days afterwards.
Today was a class called Danzika taken by Carlos from Columbia. Set to crazy good Latin music, we shook, shimmied, kicked and laughed our way through the hour class. I think we learnt 4 different choreographies and clapped at the end of each one celebrating the fact we didn't fall flat on our faces. I did sweat. I did frizz. I smiled the whole way through it. I'll be back next week and I'm taking a coordination pill before I go!
If you're interested I think Carlos might actually take every Danzika class in Melbourne - he has the market cornered so he might be shaking his stuff at a Rec Centre or Gym near you. Ay Carumba!
So the journey to a fitter me has begun. Do or Do Not. There is no Try. May the force be with me!
And stretch. Miss G x